Thursday, December 11, 2008

Introducing...

Shelby, the Yellow-nosed Reindeer

(Click for a closer look)

Yes, I said yellow and no, you don't need to adjust the color of your computer screen. You might have already noticed but Shelby really does have a bit of a yellow-ish tint to her skin, especially her nose.

A few months back,I was a bit perplexed when I started noticing her yellowish nose. At first I only saw it when I viewed pics from our then,new camera. I just figured it was the camera. Then a few days later, while out on a walk with Shelby, an old Scottish lady asked me if Shelby was jaundiced. Shelby had newborn jaundice for a week or so right after she was born and it had been long gone since then,as far as I knew. She then asked me if I fed Shelby a lot of carrots. I answered no pretty quickly feeling confident it wasn't carrots. Before we moved here, I had made sure to buy a wide variety of baby food with all kinds of veggies and fruits. Besides, since we had moved to Vancouver, Shelby had been mostly breastfeed with the exception of a few snacks and jar of various flavors of baby food,IE, Chicken Noodle,Turkey &Veggies, Beef&Veggies,Lasagna,Spaghetti,etc, for dinner each night. She's eaten carrots a few times before, but definately not enough to make her skin turn yellow. Or so I thought...

When I got home, it was really bugging me that I wasn't the only one now who noticed her yellow coloring. So I immediately went to the cupboard and pulled out all her baby food searching the ingredients on every can. Turns out almost every single jar of baby food we had read as follows, "Ingredients: Water, CARROTS,..." then beef, or turkey or chicken and so on. Even the Lasagna and Spaghetti listed carrots as the second ingredient! Carrots must give some good flavor or be pretty dang cheap as a filler. I felt so stupid and pretty guilty for being so oblivious to it. But who could blame me? Not one jar had a picture of carrots on it! To ease my mind and just to make sure the cause of her yellow nose was the carrots, I googled "yellow nose" and found this article on Wikipedia, CLICK--->"Carotenoderma" (I don't know what's up with the black bar across the baby's eyes. I guess her parents didn't want her identity disclosed-lol) Thank goodness for google parenting and Wikipedia! What would I ever do without them?

Thankfully carotenoderma is harmless and only temporary. Hopefully it will go away soon, as we have run out of baby food and are now feeding her what we eat, for the most part.

So long yellow-nose!


And now a brief clip of Shelby's latest accomplishment,

12 comments:

Natalie said...

She is so cute in the video! I had never heard about the carrot thing before...thanks for sharing! That is some crazy stuff. I think her yellow nose is cute. :) I hope it all clears up soon and that you guys are doing well!

Greedy Kristian said...

The clapping kills me. Too cute!

Tabitha said...

Hi Lindsay! I'm glad you found our blog so I could find yours. I can't believe Shelby is already a year old! She is so cute! I hope you guys are doing well. It'll be fun to keep up with you and your family now :)

Anonymous said...

I almost started clapping along with the video. So sweet!

Love the yellow nose. My kids had it from the carrots, too.

marquita chiquita said...

I will just put all my comments here! Happy Birthday to Shelby! I can't believe it's been a year already! Crazy that all the baby food has carrots as a main ingredient. Kind of like how all fruit juices list apple juice as a main ingredient too. And Shelby is soooooo dang cute in her video! Hope you are all doing good!

Me said...

Soo cute!!! I can't believe how big she is getting! Sorry it took me so long to get back to you about the survey thing! It was a website that my friend referred me too. They send you surveys through email and then you complete them and then they send you a check. It worked for a while, but now I don't get surveys anymore for some reason. It was fun while it lasted! :) Things look like they are going great for you! Your blog is so cute!

James, Cameo, Jacob, & Eli said...

I loved that video, Shelby is so smart, and I love how she clapped for herself - toooo cute!! That carrot thing is crazy - I've never heard of that happening, but now I'll know for the future. By the way, we need your address to send a Christmas (late) card. I don't have your email. Mine is cameovanduker@yahoo.com. Thanks!

Emilee said...

Love the yellow nose. Crazy how carrots and any other orange baby food can do that? Hope you guys are doing well and we hope you have a wonderful Christmas!

Unknown said...

Hey Forest has had a yellow nose too- I have just figured it was because i don't scrub it hard enough after eating. hehe!
I love the video of her, she is so cute!

Mel and Nate said...

Hey Lindsey! We miss you guys! With summer around the corner I wish you were still here so we could hit up the pool! She is so dang cute! I cannot believe she is a year already!

Heidi said...

*tap* *tap* *tap* Hello is this thing on? Where are you? Must...have...a...new...post...on...Shelby.

Tyler Waterfall said...

Lindsay, this post made me laugh! Oh, I miss being your neighbor. I hope you are doing great in Vancouver. Shelby is 1--unbelievable! She is darling as ever, and I know you are a wonderful mom.
Amy