Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Progress

A few months ago feeding Shelby was my most dreaded time of the day because it had become a huge battle. She would be so hungry, but absolutely refused to let me spoon feed her. She had just begun the stage of wanting to do everything herself, but not quite having the skill or patience to do it. One night after what seemed like an eternity of going back and forth and having yogurt hitting everything but Shelby's mouth, I'd had enough! I gave up. I pulled her high chair as far from any walls as possible, removed the rug from underneath her, handed her the spoon, and walked away, upstairs. Needless to say, we were both feeling pretty frusterated by this point. If she really wanted to eat she would have to figure it out on her own or finally realize she couldn't do it and give in. (Ha-that'll teach her!)

As I made my way back down to check on her, instead of crying, there was silence. For a split second my thoughts turned to worry and guilt...what if she had choked and I hadn't been there to help her?! I'll admit probably not the smartest thing to leave her alone while eating, but I quickly rationalized and thought she couldn't possibly have choked on yogurt. I know Shelby well enough by now and usually her silence only means one thing...she's up to something naughty! I turned the corner and found this,


Shelby just squealed with delight at the mess she had made,

as if she was so proud of her creation.


Such a goofy girl!

Even though she had made a huge mess which is not fully captured in these photos,I couldn't help but laugh with her. After this incident, I realized it'd probably be awhile before she was ready to spoon feed herself...at least yogurt anyway.

Fast forward a month or so later and I'm happy to report Shelby is doing much better! Here's the proof,



(notice the bib is gone now--that's our new battle, getting her to keep it on!)




She may have learned to use her spoon better, but she's still just as goofy!

That's my girl :)

9 comments:

Morgan Hood said...

i know what you're going through.... it'll get better and then it may get worse again...but eventually she'll be eating you out of your house haha. about the bib---we had to get tegan the kind that slipped over her head instead of the velcro behind the neck....they only had cloth ones, so we had to wash them all the time but i'd rather wash a bib and it be stained than their clothes. shelby is a cutie pie, sometimes it's just best to laugh at them than get upset.

Cory and Melissa said...

What a GOOF! I can't wait to see her. I just want to give her lots of hugs and kisses. I'm so excited you guys are coming down. Love ya.

Heidi said...

Holy cow that first picture of her covered in yogurt. Put away the spoon momma and get that girl some mixed veggies, cut up lunchmeat (turkey) and cheese. Lexi lived off of that and cheerios and bananas for forever. Less clean up for momma. ;) But the pictures are priceless. Can't wait to squeeze that love bug. Love that you are blogging again.

James, Cameo, Jacob, and Eli said...

Too cute!!

Emilee said...

That is so funny! I love her "naughty" smile. She totally knew she was doing something she shouldn't and she loved every minute of it. She is so cute and I love the pig tails.

Katie Wells said...

Naughty! But so cute! :) Brad would have died if he'd been there. He can't stand a messy baby!

Rebecca said...

So cute I love her little smile. Those pictures of food all over her face are so fun. I miss you guys. Love you keep posting I am loving to see how you are doing.

Mel and Nate said...

That is so funny! Eli just barely learned how to use a spoon! I just feed him forever but I finally let him grow up and do it on his own! When are you coming to Utah? I am sure you are busy but I would LOVE to see you! My number is still 801-360-4664 You guys sound like you are doing awesome!

Unknown said...

Forest is still at the totally messy state. If I leave him alone while eating I come back to walls painted with food and his bowl dumped on the ground...grr! Your blog gives me hope that maybe one day it will get better.
I am glad to see that the family is doing well. Shelby is looking as cute as ever! Give her a kiss from Forest.